December 5, 2010

24 weeks.

The weeks continue to fly by.  I am happy to know that in just a few short weeks, if anything were to happen, I know this little guy would still have a 90-95% chance of surviving.  I hear of stories of babies born at 26 or 27 weeks and after a long stay in the NICU - ending up completely normal.  Of course - that is NOT my wish by any means... but it sure feels great to know technology could keep this little guy alive if for some reason I can't.

One of my friends asked me the other day what surprised me most about pregnancy.  I didn't have a quick answer for her then, but after thinking about it - I think I have been most surprised at how pregnancy COMPLETELY changes your body chemistry.  My skin, for example, has gotten to be SUPER sensitive and dry.  I continue to have weird dry patches that pop up for no reason.  Also - all of the sudden this year I am allergic to pine needles.  Never happened before pregnancy, but in setting up some Christmasy decorations I brushed up against some pine needles and immediately broke out in hives.  Thank goodness we have a fake tree.  I've also recently realized that my body temperature is WAY hotter than it normally is and have started experiencing some hot flashes.  Oh the joys!!

Anyway - on to 24 weeks!!
 

Today's date: December 5, 2010 

How far along: 24 weeks

Total weight gain: 14 lbs.  (I guess I made up for not gaining at Thanksgiving - still doing well though!)

Size and growth of the baby: Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up.

Sex: BOY BOY BOY!!

Maternity clothes: All maternity pants, and went to Chi-town this weekend and got some maternity tops on sale!!  Yippee for clothes that fit!!

Sleep: Sleeping well for the most part!!  Baby woke me up this morning with all his kicking though. :-)

Best moment(s) of the week: Jordan and I went to Chicago this weekend - TONS of fun!! 

Movement: Still have a baby acrobat in there. :-)

Food cravings/aversions:  Nothing much! 

Morning sickness: Feeling good!!
 
Symptoms: Tired, expanding belly, horrible dry skin, acid reflux, and getting kicked/punched in the bladder. :-) 
 
Labor signs:
 WAY too soon.

Belly button in or out:  
 In - but definitely feeling shallower! 

What I miss:  Cute clothes.

What I'm looking forward to:  We are painting the nursery this weekend!!  Also lots and lots of Christmas parties coming up!    


What's happening this week:

Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.  


And another belly shot!! 

 
 {24 weeks!  And I look like I just rode in a car for 3 hours. :-)}



{I wasn't sure how much bigger I would look - but definitely a couple of inches growth!} 

1 comment:

  1. You have the cutest baby bump!! I just love it! I hope you had fun in Chicago!

    p.s. I just started googling info on cloth diapering this weekend, I'm glad I'll know at least one other momma who is doing it as well (although I missed out on black friday deals)

    ReplyDelete