December 6, 2012

readiness


It's a story I've told many times to many people.  The story of a fallen and confused girl who was living for herself, boys, popularity, clothes, money, the world.  Until somewhere around age 17 when God grabbed hold of her, shook her world up, and never let go.

My testimony.

Not long ago, I studied Ephesians with she reads truth.  I had memorized the armor of God when I was young and felt my eyes start to glaze over a bit as I got to that paragraph.  This time, though, God gave me a new nugget of truth.  A fresh perspective to take it in and put it on my life.  I read, with new eyes, about the readiness of the gospel of peace. 

I let the words sink in and thought about how this should play out in my life.  As I meditated on it, I felt convicted that the gospel should be on the tip of my tongue.  My conversations seasoned with gospel salt.  My eyes to see every opportunity as one to make great of Jesus and make little of me.

I have always been comfortable sharing my story and life in general.  If you know me, you know that I don't have much fear about speaking in front of people.  Large groups, small groups, doesn't matter.  God has given me a confidence in my words.  I know this is rare, which also means that I have had plenty of opportunity to speak.  Plenty of opportunity to share my story.

Both in house church and my monday morning bible study, we are in a season of sharing our stories.  I am loving hearing of God's goodness in my friends' lives.  But many have a hesitation and nervousness about sharing.  Not that they are afraid of their friends' impression.  Just the speaking.  And I understand, I really do.  But I can't help but think that it has been played up to be something it isn't meant to be.

My sweet friend, who admittedly is terrified of public speaking, shared that she spontaneously opened up about her story in church to a new friend.  And it just flowed.  God's truth just came out as she shared about her life.  And she realized that it didn't need to be a thought-out, put-together speech.  Just life and truth.  She was ready with the gospel on the tip of her tongue.  And God can be made even greater in a messy, nervous story.

And then I, on the other hand, will gladly speak when asked.  Perhaps too much at times, if I'm being honest.  But I wonder if the gospel is on the tip of my tongue.  If, even when not asked, Jesus will salt my conversations.

This has been on my mind for months, and there are two things I am praying for through this.

That I would know my story, in all it's seasons, and be able to relate it back to God's goodness and God's glory. 

And that I would be ready to share His goodness each time I speak.

Am I so very aware of God's goodness in my life, that I would be able to proclaim it to anyone, anytime?  Are you?




No comments:

Post a Comment