March 12, 2011

9 months on....

I'm in a bloggy mood tonight.  So deal with it. :-)

With pregnancy, a growing belly, and then birth comes many many wonderful things.  Like a baby.  I know that all the aches and pains I've already experienced and are sure to come will be WELL worth it. :-)  I'm already anticipating the sleepless nights and moments of complete "I don't know what the heck I'm doing."... and I can't wait.  Seriously, I can't wait to meet my baby even though I know life is going to be extremely different and challenging.  I still look forward to the challenge.

One thing I am not looking forward to?  I have gained nearly 30 lbs in the past 9 months.  And before those 9 months started, I had a stressful spring/summer and gained 10 lbs.  That is 40 pounds to lose (yikes - at first I made a mistake and wrote 400!!  This is not biggest loser territory yet!).  I know that hopefully 10-15 of those will be lost with baby and fluid and that great stuff, but I will hardly have by pre-preggo body back overnight.  What is the saying - 9 months on, 9 months off?... I certainly hope not. :-(

When I realized I needed to eat gluten-free I started thinking more about what I put into my body.  I realized that it isn't only calories that matter, but the quality of the food I was eating.  Food is my body's fuel.  I have a VERY sensitive stomach, and I always feel according to how I have been eating.  Like that ice cream I ate earlier today?  Yeah... feeling icky because of it (but it was worth it).  I know I feel significantly better when I am eating mindfully and healthy.


Before I got pregnant I got Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet book.  I wasn't intending on going on a full-blown weight-loss diet, but rather learning her principles and eating more organically, less processed, and just better overall.  It makes SO much sense.  Unfortunately - most of that went out the window during first trimester when I had such strong food aversions, the only thing that sounded good was mac & cheese and if I could keep it down, I ate it - darnit! 

So now, with my postpartum body around the corner, an "eat clean" diet is one of the main changes I plan on implementing to lose weight.  I recently subscribed to Clean Eating Magazine as well - after reading awesome reviews on it.  I know not all recipes are gluten-free, but after a year and a half of eating gluten-free I know how to make substitutions to make it edible for me.  I probably will count calories after a few months, but I plan to breastfeed, so I know that will be difficult.  I figure if I eat food that my body can use, instead of yucky processed stuff, both me and baby will be healthier... and hopefully I will look better too. :-)  And I will ask you to hold me accountable!!  I am sure I will blog about it.  I am soooo eager to feel healthy and fit again.  But I know that will come with time. :-)  In the meantime, I'm having a fun time looking up recipes and making meal plans to continue to make my family more healthy.

1 comment:

  1. I have her book, too! And I've been thinking of subscribing to the magazine. One of my good friend's sisters keeps a blog about her clean eating experience (and her hubby is GF)...just in case you were interested :). The blog is cleaneatingmachine.blogspot.com.

    Oh, and I'll be joining you in the lose 40lbs group soon!

    ReplyDelete