October 2, 2010

I give in.

Okay.  I give in.  For the past year, I had been eating gluten-free.  Prior to eating gluten-free, I had some major issues with my digestive system (I'll spare you the details), plus almost daily headaches.  I felt lethargic and just "blah" most of the time.  After seeing my kinesiologist, he recommended I go gluten-free and see if my symptoms got better.  Well, after about 3 days the digestive issues cleared up for the most part and within 3 weeks I felt like a whole new woman.  I would still have the occasional gluten if I had no other choice (like at weddings, etc.) and I sometimes felt gross, but if I maintained a mostly gluten-free diet, I felt good most of the time.

Until I got pregnant.  First trimester was horrible for me with food aversions.  I was in tears because I couldn't stomach ANYTHING.  So I gave up being gluten-free and just decided to eat whatever sounded good.  Otherwise I was starving and I had lost 4 lbs.  Not good when you're pregnant!!  So... for the past 6-8 weeks I have been indulging in the gluten I have been deprived of for the past year.  I gotta admit, eating cereal and toast that doesn't crumble in my fingers was amazing.  And chicken tenders, french-onion soup at Panera, PIZZA.... mmm.  BUT - the headaches have been debilitating.  There have been two instances in the past couple of weeks when I have had such horrible headaches I have just locked myself in the bathroom in the dark and vomited due to the pain.  It is not fun.  Normally my headaches (not gluten-induced) go away with sleep, but I have been having them day and night.  So... I surrender.  I give in.  I am no longer going to eat gluten. *sigh*  It was fun while it lasted.

I realize that my headaches COULD come from pregnancy hormones, but knowing that I had daily headaches from gluten before, this is a change I must make.  I am grieving the loss of my chicken tenders and pizza and french onion soup (it just isn't the same without the bread).  But hopefully this will give me some of my energy and health back, and I will once again feel like a whole new woman.

Goodbye yummy food.




4 comments:

  1. Bummer honey! I hope this works though... love you! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry, babe. I'm sure it will be worth it, though. I hope you can find another indulgence that likes you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, looking at those pictures doesn't help!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lindsy!
    I am a friend of Betsy and Liz and found your blog thru them. I just want to say congratulations!! And also, I hope you feel better soon. I didn't start to feel 100% better until about 18 weeks, but don't be discouraged, it doesn't always happen "overnight" like people say. (I had lots of cramping and headaches too--and they've gone away.) (oh, but they were replaced with other surprises!) Isn't it fun?! haha...anyway, just wanted to say hello and way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete