October 10, 2010

16 weeks.

Another week completed!!  Sometimes I can still hardly believe this is happening.  I feel like time is flying.  After TTC for over a year, being actually PREGNANT for 9 months feels like nothing.  Every week is a milestone and I love it.

This week has been a bit more difficult emotionally.  Most of the time, I don't worry.  I'm in 2nd trimester, have seen a healthy baby, my doctor says everything is great, and I am able to just enjoy being pregnant.  Every once in awhile, though, all of the "what if's" that can go wrong creep into my mind.  It is so easy to dwell on those things that could possibly go wrong or harm my baby, I think especially after having a loss.  This week has been a bit more challenging in that aspect.  I just have to give it to God and trust.  This is HIS child, not mine.  And I am grateful for the peace he has given me during this pregnancy.

Anyway... 16 weeks!

There it is.  The 16 week belly.  I don't know what I expected, but I think I thought I'd be way bigger by now.  I have grown FOR SURE.  It is more obvious to me (who can absolutely no longer fit into her pants anymore) than to the naked eye, but I think I was hoping to look pregnant by now.  I look and feel just plain chunky.  BUT - there is a difference between 12 and 16 weeks!!

It is a slight difference, but it is there!!  I have a feeling there will be a HUGE difference between 16 and 20 weeks.  I might even take a picture at 18 weeks to compare.

Today's date: October 10, 2010 (10-10-10!!)

How far along: 16 weeks

Total weight gain: Somewhere between .5 and 1.5 lbs.  I was up 1.5 yesterday but seemed to lose 1lb today.  I should just weigh myself weekly, but my weight fluctuates SO much.  I seriously wonder when this weight is going to pack on (but I know it will).  At this rate, if I gain 1lb a week I'll be at exactly 25 lbs for weight gained.  That's my goal anyway.

Size and growth of the baby: Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces.

Sex: Gender ultrasound is scheduled for November 10!

Maternity clothes: All maternity pants, but still wearing regular shirts.  Some of my more fitted shirts are a no-go right now though.  They seem too short (especially with the panel on maternity pants).  It is crazy how such small changes can make your clothes fit so differently.

Sleep: I have been SUPER uncomfortable lately.  I am not supposed to lay on my back (I feel like it is uncomfortable anyway at this point) and when I lay on my stomach I feel like I am laying on a ball.  I am not a side sleeper and this has been a hard adjustment.  So I've been super restless.  Thank goodness for unisom (which I am still afraid to stop taking... but might soon).

Best moment(s) of the week: Hmmm... not pregnancy related, but ladies night on Friday with some of my best girlfriends. :-)  They left the babies at home and it was great to be able to talk without distraction!  In a matter of 15 months we will have gone from 0 babies in our group to 5 come March.  CRAZY.

Movement: It is sporadic, but it is there!!  After talking with the ladies on Friday, it confirmed that what I had been feeling was indeed baby.  I only feel it every couple of days though.  I can't wait until it is all the time!

Food cravings/aversions: Chocolate... and that would be a craving.  I indulged in chocolate milk this afternoon and it was glorious.  That and orange juice.

Morning sickness: Feeling good with the exception of some debilitating headaches... hopefully those will go away with the gluten.

Symptoms: Still super tired (where is that 2nd trimester energy burst??), headaches are diminishing, expanding belly.

Labor signs:
 Way too soon.

Belly button in or out:
 In.

What I miss:
My energy!!  When will I feel "normal" again??

What I'm looking forward to: 
Looking pregnant (not chunky) and gender ultrasound on November 10 (1 month from today)!





 What's going on this week:

Baby's legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.

3 comments:

  1. Honey, you definitely look pregnant to me. "Chunky" looks different than that. Really.:-)

    4 1/2" from head to rump? They don't measure the legs? So it's really 5 1/2" or so?

    This is fun. I look forward to your updates every week.:-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No... they measure head to rump until 20 weeks. Early on, the legs aren't really developed, so that is the best measure. (Although the legs are more proportional now.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I'm just posting on this now, I meant to do it earlier this week! Congrats on 16 weeks...you are almost 17 weeks, now, aren't you? Almost at the halfway point! Wow!

    Thank you so much for all your encouraging comments! I just don't know what I would do if I didn't know someone IRL who had spotting. I'm just trying to get accustomed to it. Oh, and I plan on cloth diapering, too, so I will definitely be turning to you for tips :).

    ReplyDelete