November 6, 2012

Politics and the Gospel


I almost didn't post this, but I'm going to anyway.

I wonder if there was ever a day when politics wasn't so seemingly divisive.

I can't be the only one who sees it.  Maybe it is my utter awareness of what is happening politically, or maybe it is ease in which people can be in-your-face-but-not via facebook and twitter, but this election has been harsh.

The topic can immediately cause defenses to go up.  It puts the other person in a category, either of camaraderie or opposition.  I might argue that there is little aside from politics that is so revealing about one's beliefs about life.

That, and faith.

I'm going to put my neck out there and share some thoughts.  My husband and I talk about this frequently.  He is a bit of a political nut.  My interest is growing.  If there is a topic you want to get an earful about, just ask him about the state of our country.

But in certain circles, we find we often hold our tongues (with the exception of people who we are close to).  Because in our conversations, we want Christ to shine instead of a political party.  We fear that saying something will start a debate we would rather not have with people we are trying to show Christ to.

I don't know if we are right in this.  In this season, we have often said, "I would love to share my belief or stance to this person or that person... but... the gospel.  The gospel first."  Because, these days, politics seem to breed nastiness.  And we want to love.

Politics and the gospel.  How do you speak on politics to the people in your mission field?  Or do you at all?  

In any case, my hope is that you just vote today.  Know what you believe, and put your civic right into action.  And be respectful of the result.  Because we serve a sovereign God.  He holds the ultimate power regarding who is in office.  It is in his plan... even if it isn't in ours.

I really am curious how my brothers and sisters approach this.  Please share!  


...


  

No comments:

Post a Comment