June 1, 2012

To gratitude.

I've been complaining a lot lately.

I know this because my sweet hubby has told me so.  :-)

But here's the deal.  I'm 8 months pregnant.  I regularly feel like my legs are going to disconnect from my body and I might split down the middle.  Oh, and this week I came down with a sinus infection.


Preggo Mama + sinus infection + adorable little tiny tornado = me waving my white flag and giving up on the day.  Let's just say I'm going to need that nesting energy desperately to get things in order before #2 arrives.

So, I'm just frustrated.  My ears are still clogged and I have done everything my OB, Primary care doc, and Dr. Google have told me to to try to unclog them.  I think it is a matter of time.  I just hope it doesn't last another month.  I really hope to love on my newbie with a clear head.

BUT.  That said.  This post isn't about complaining.  In fact, even though all of the above things are true I am writing today to deliberately NOT focus on it.

Let's talk about gratitude.

Before my sister went to Jamaica we decided it would be fun to read a book together across the ocean.  Kind of a deliberate way to connect and make sure we stay in touch in the midst of our chaotic lives.  We looked at many books.  We were planning to do a Beth Moore book, but after hearing my favorite Monday morning ladies rave about this book, One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, I suggested we maybe look at that one instead.

So, we started reading a week or two ago.  I'm only three chapters in.  But WOW.


I had never made the connection of gratitude being so connected to salvation.  To knowing God.  And to living a full life.  It's all over the bible, but why so overlooked?  In everything give thanks.  Yeah yeah yeah.  I'm thankful and I make my lists at Thanksgiving of things I'm thankful for, but really.  In everything give thanks.  After reading three chapters I'm convinced that if I truly put this into practice it would be life-changing.

The One Thousand Gifts are a list of one thousand blessings, gifts, that Ann decided to list and give thanks to God for.  One thousand ways she had received God's love.  And she was listing those blessings back to God.

So, I'm going to do the same.  Maybe not make a list of specifically 1,000, but I am going to deliberately give thanks daily.  For the everyday, mundane and for the extraordinary.  I'm going to recognize and name my blessings back to my creator.  Because I believe that in that I will find His joy.  His fullness of life.


I've never been much of a tweeter. :-)  But I've found that this might be a good avenue to share my thanks.  On twitter and instagram people will post their thanks with the hashtag #1000gifts.  I also found an iPhone app to help remind you and help you keep track.  LOVE.  So, I'm going to be doing this. :-)   If you know me on Twitter or Instagram, I'd love it if you'd join in!

It's little things like this that can make an ordinary day into something great.

I've been a bit blog-MIA in this season, but I really hope that changes soon.  This weekend I'd also like to share with you about a study I've been doing.  #SheReadsTruth - look it up. :-)  I'm loving it.

1 comment:

  1. If you post a list of gratitudes from each week, you can link up to Ann's community at her blog, aholyexperience.com, too (Mondays). And a facebook page. And a page for 1000gifts. So many places to share, to hold us accountable for noticing the little things. If you write them out, like little vignettes or lines of poetry, they become snapshots of your life. Great solution for busy, weary moms. :)

    ReplyDelete