March 21, 2013

life shared :: Kristen



“Mom, I want you to play Mario and save the princess!  Can you save the princess?” 

This is what my 3-year-old, Kaitlyn, was saying from the backseat as we were driving home from dropping my 2nd & 1st grade daughters off at school. 

“You want to just sit around and watch me play video games today?”I asked.  Yeah!, was her reply. 

Recently in our house, my oldest two have learned to play Super Mario Brothers on our Wii.  The cry around our house has been, “Save the princess!”

My sister and I used to sit and play Super Mario on our old Nintendo years ago.  We  had so much fun conquering and chatting and bonding. 

I haven't had (or made) much time to attempt to play the new Super Mario on Wii, but suffice it to say that I'm out of practice!

While I was driving back home, when Kaitlyn asked me to save the princess, I suddenly began reviewing times in my life when I have called out to God to save the Princess (me). 

There was the year of experiencing three miscarriages.  There was the emergency delivery, NICU stay and ongoing issues with our oldest daughter.  There were times of financial distress as a one income family.  There were times of seemingly never ending stress as a mom of two toddlers who were 18 months apart, one with sensory processing disorder which rendered her hyperactive and strong-willed.  There was my husband's brain tumor.  There was my husband's job loss.  There was relocation.  There was hospital bed rest because of pregnancy complications with our third daughter, and her NICU stay.  There have been streams of medical bills. Even now, there are smaller things.

I have cried out for my ultimate Hero – God.  He may not always do things in the way that I envision, but He is there.  He has come through to rescue me from these curve balls that at the time made my world stressful and anxious.  He loves me.  He has adopted me as His daughter, His princess. 

Just as Hannah cried out in her prayer, “O Lord of hosts, if You will indeed look on the affliction of Your handmaid and [earnestly] remember, and not forget Your handmaid...”, she is asking God, her Hero, to save the princess.  Indeed, we see a few verses later, “...and the Lord remembered her.”  He answered her prayer.  I've experienced this over and over again in my life. 

How about you?  Do you know that God loves you?  Do you know that you are His daughter, His princess?  Do you cry out to Him to save the Princess (you)? 


“Because you are precious in My sight and honored, and because I love you,” 
Isaiah 43:4a

God cares about you more than you could fathom. He even has the numbers of hairs on your head counted. (Matt. 10:30) Your name is tattooed on the palms of His hands. (Is. 49:16)  Nothing can separate us from God's love.  (Rom. 8:35-39)  Bask in those awe inspiring truths today. 

God can and will save His princesses!
Kristen is captivated by Jesus; wife to her high-school sweetheart; mom of 3 amazing girls.  Kristen lives in central OH, where she writes, blogs, is in MOPS leadership and lives gluten-free. Her blog is On Wings & Waves, where she writes about faith & spiritual growth, parenting her daughter with Sensory Processing Disorder, gluten-free recipes, and advocating for children.  Kristen also contributes to the blog Fancy Little Things for their healthy self and gluten-free topics.  She is currently co-authoring a book about the spiritual issues surrounding miscarriage.  Her eBook, 31 Days of Prayers for the Busy Woman is available for free on her blog in PDF format, or you can purchase it on Amazon for Kindle. A portion of the proceeds of the sale of the book go to Zana's Fund, a special needs orphan in Lithuania. 

No comments:

Post a Comment